This morning, 1999-08-24

Last night, after I got home, I drove out to fetch some dishwasher
detergent, laundry detergent, _Perl: The Programmer's Companion_
($30!), and some frozen-fruit-juice popsicles for Marilyn.  I was
unsuccessful in locating frozen fruit juice, and settled for frozen
sugar water without so much fruit juice in it.

On returning home, I chatted with Paul and Matt about that
streaming-audio thing I wrote on the weekend.  It has a flow-control
problem -- if you feed it an audio file, it will send it as fast as it
possibly can, which results in most of it getting lost in transit.
Matt wrote a 'bitcat' program that outputs at a particular bit rate; he
reported that the result was still choppy.

I received Matt's stream; I noted that there were occasional big skips
(like every second or two on average) but they were not regular.  I
don't know whether that stemmed from my modem being slower than the
stream he was sending or not.

Got up around 9:00 this morning.  Read my email, looked at some Web
photos of a friend of a friend, took a shower, wrote a little Python
Tkinter program (it displays a checkbutton!), installed the Tcl and Tk
devel packages (which include the man pages for the Tk functions),
drove to work around 11:00, stopped at a gas station to refill the
tank, recorded the weekend expenditures I could remember (how much did
I spend on food at Mountain Days?  Who knows?), recorded the gas amount
and mileage (although without calculating gas mileage), and drove to
work, stopping at Taco Bell for two "gorditas" and a "meximelt".

It rained demonically the whole way to work.  I wished my car's air
conditioner was working; keeping the windows defogged required that I
turn the heater on occasionally.  (The air conditioner would have been
able to keep the windows defogged without heating up the interior of
the car.)

Once at work, I noted that my Taco Bell Anakin Skywalker cup had
developed a leak, which explains the little puddles that had been
forming on my desk the last few days.  I perched it precariously on the
edge of the desk so it would drip on the floor.

Chatted a bit with Len about this Nevada trip I go on tomorrow.  Doug
left yesterday.  Len is evidently going to San Diego for the exercise.

Did my timesheet for yesterday in acceptable time.

Talked to Marilyn about eating out tonight at El Meson.  I need to call
and make reservations.

I'm hoping I can drop my car off at Lou's tonight or tomorrow morning
to have it worked on.  The battery is fine now, but there's a funny
rattle, the parking-brake light comes on all the time, the parking
brake doesn't work, and one of the doors leaks.

Just started Netscape.

--
Mon Aug 23 1999
77 days until the Internet stock bubble bursts on Monday, 1999-11-08.